Extend your knowledge and feel confident in today’s Business World
This service is designed to create awareness of the intricacies of business etiquette in today’s business world, and its value in developing professional profile and personal impact. You will be taught appropriate behaviour in given activities focused around 4 key work situations: Meeting and Greeting , Business Meetings , Business Entertaining, Corporate Hospitality.
By understanding the key do’s and don’ts you will add to your personal and professional profile.
It can be difficult for women to be successful in business while still remaining feminine. There is however, a vast difference between being “girly” and being feminine. Being too “girly” can reduce credibility and the likelihood of being taken seriously. The following tips will help you create a professional image without loosing femininity.
1. Always wear make-up to work even on dress down days. It is equivalent to men attending to their facial hair. Make-up should be subtle (keep the false eyelashes for nights out!) and perfectly applied in up to date shades.
2.Masculine suits are not necessary to look powerful. Try wearing a jacket over a shift dress or a shirt style dress in a colour rather than the ususal black, grey or navy. It is the fit, style, and proportion that will give you a professional look.
3. Avoid bare legs and open toe shoes at work as this looks too casual. Heels are a great way of looking powerful but keep the style simple and make sure you can walk properly in them.
4. Use accessories to create an individual look. One stylish necklace in a contrasting colour or a striking scarf will get you noticed in the right way, but remember accessories should compliment rather than distract.
5. Ask friends for feedback about your voice. High pitched voices and speaking too quickly both reduce the likelihood of being taken seriously or seeming credible. It is worth having voice coaching if you think you could benefit from improving in this area.
6. If you are petite or very light in colouring you have a harder job to project a powerful image. Make sure that your clothes are well fitted, tailored and avoid very pale shades. Accessories should be in keeping with your scale.
7. Carry a good quality handbag of modern design. It needn’t be black but should equally not be something you would use on a night out or on holiday.
8. Practice your handshake. The hands should meet web to web and shake 3 times. Smile at the person you are shaking hands with and make eye contact.
9. Keep your hair well groomed and modern in style. Avoid fluffy and “big hair” styles at work.
10. Similarly nails should be perfectly manicured. Nail varnish is acceptable in many working environments but be aware of keeping nail colour subtle and above all not chipped.
For more tips and advice call me on 07766 466 688
There are some simple but often overlooked essentials to looking current and up to date. Below are a few tips for staying on trend.
1. Carry a mobile phone that is no more than 2 years old.
2. Any suit older than 5 years will look old fashioned. Donate these to a charity shop and invest in some new ones.
3. Update your hairstyle at least every 3 years and don’t be afraid to change your stylist for a new look.
4. Likewise spectacle frames should be changed every 3 years and if you can afford it have more than one pair. Avoid light reactive lenses for business. These can be irritating for those conversing with you as it can be difficult to see your eyes when they are even slightly tinted.
5. Carry a modern, undamaged and good quality brief case. A damaged case can make you look scruffy, overworked and struggling to cope.
6. Avoid too much jewellery in business. It looks tacky and unprofessional. ” Medallion man” should not be reflected in your mirror!
7. A business watch should be sleek and understated. Save the sports’ watch for sport and casual wear.
8. Make sure your ties are modern in style, colour, pattern and width. This is a great way to express your individuality. You should have between 10 and 15.
9. Vary your white shirts by wearing coloured shirts sometimes for a modern business look. Ties are not always necessary but avoid wearing a white shirt unbuttoned as it looks like you forgot your tie.
10. Facial hair goes through trends and wearing a beard or moustache in exactly the same way for years will really date you!
For more tips and advice call me on 07766 466 688
- Business Etiquette
- Vertical stripes can make even the slim look fat!
- Colour and plenty of it please!
- Chris Beamish on Mary’s Radio Podcast
- Mary on Happy holidays!
- Ian Wilkinson on Happy holidays!
- Steve on Accessories in the Workplace
- Anne Roberts Beauty salon in Oxton on the Wirral
- Asos Discover the latest in women’s fashion and men’s clothing online.
- Crystal Clear Beauty salon on Rodney St Liverpool
- Enigmatic Fashion Accessories in the Cavern Walks Liverpool – FAB!!!
- Hooka Unisex hair and beauty salon on Wood St Liverpool
- mytights online store for hosiery and lingerie
- Net-a-porter online store for designer wear
- Ollie and Darsh Ollie & Darsh, a new, bright and highly respected cosmetic dentist, in the heart of Liverpool city centre
- petiteaffair online store for petite women
- Pro-Fit Gym for personal training in Crosby Liverpool
- Synergy Fitness Studios Fitness Studio located on Lord St in Liverpool